1. Sponsored Candidate.
If you want to get sponsored,you have to approach different employing shipping companies or their authorized agents registered by DGS for sponsorship.You can get info about them from advertisements or search for them online.They often have their own demands like higher percentage in HSC or English or both.They will conduct a separate exam of yours in order to check weather you are eligible to get their sponsorship or not,followed by an interview,either telephonic or face to face or both.Depends upon the company.When you clear all the stages,you are all set to be a sponsored candidate.But APPEARING IN CET CONDUCTED BY IMU IS COMPULSORY.And both sponsored and Non sponsored candidates are required to successfully clear the IMU CET.
All non sponsored candidates will have to undergo IMU CET and then on the basis of their rank,they are likely to get the sponsorship.However,some companies may not consider ranks only for selection,they will select as per their need.
You can join merchant navy by appearing in CET (Common Entrance Test) conducted by IMU (Indian Maritime University) twice a year.One for February batch and other for August batch.The exam for February batch is generally held in December and for August batch it is held in the month of June.12Th appearing students should appear in June for August session.After you clear the exam,you would be called for counselling to Chennai.And your college would be allotted to you on the basis of merit.
You have to undergo compulsory residential training as per the rules of DG shipping,day schooling is not allowed.Your course duration will vary as per your course.Like-
B.Tech- 4 Years
B.sc- 3 Years
DNS- 1 Year at college and 2 Years of on-board training.
After completing your training period,you will be allowed to go join a foreign going ship and you would be called as MERCHANT NAVY OFFICER.
- The lower age limit is 17 years.
- Upper age limit is 25 years which is relaxed by 2 years for female candidates and 5 years for SC/ST.
- You need to clear the interview in order to get a job.
- Please be very careful when approaching any company for sponsorship,check their registration with DGS.Do the same in case of agents.
- Please get your eye sight checked before going to counselling.
- You should have good command over English language,both spoken and written.Make sure you prepare well for this.
- DGS refers to Directorate General Of Shipping.It is a government body which moderates shipping department.